How to File a Credit Dispute Online

filing a credit dispute

Your credit score can have a big affect on your life and it can make all the difference when it comes to financing and getting a mortgage. Sometimes the information on credit reports can be wrong. Notice an error on your Credit Report? Here are some tips to getting a credit report dispute filed.

Step 1: Start the disputing process by obtaining a new credit report from each of the credit reporting bureaus. You will want to have the most recent report to see what needs to be fixed. Everyone is entitled to received a free copy of your credit report from each of the three national credit bureaus per year and you can get that at

Step 2: Next you need to learn how to spot an error and find out what it means. There are different types of errors that could be on your credit report. There are three types of errors that can appear on your report: Account related errors, derogatory mark errors and personal information errors. Account related errors could show that an account was closed by you but listed as the closed by the provider, a late payment that is more than seven years old, or it could show that there is a loan or credit card listed that shouldn’t be under your name. Derogatory mark errors include an account that was discharge in bankruptcy and is still showing up as active with a remaining balance, an account in collections that is actually paid off, or a paid tax lien that is more than seven years old. Personal information errors could be that the wrong name is listed, addresses you have never lived at are listed, or inaccurate employer information. If you have an account related error or a derogatory error, it could very well be affecting your credit score. An error with your personal information could be an issue with fraud and should also be looked into.

Step 3: If there is more than one error, be sure to file a dispute for each error. There are a couple of ways that these errors can be disputed. The most simple way, would be to file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Experts do say that this is often not the most effective way to get an error fixed from your report. So what are the best and most efficient ways to fix an error?

Step 4: Go straight to the source! Contact the Credit Bureau and Company that reported you. You can dispute with each Credit Bureau or directly with the company that provided the information to the bureau. Write a dispute letter and mail it to the Credit Bureau. When writing this letter be sure to be clear, simple, and provide proof of the error. For a sample letter for disputing errors, click here! 

Below is the contact information you will need for all 3 Credit Bureaus.

By mail: Click here to download the dispute form
Mail the dispute form with your letter to:
Equifax Information Services LLC
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374
By phone: Phone number provided on credit report or (800) 864-2978

By mail: Use the address provided on your credit report or mail your letter to:
P.O. Box 4000
Allen, TX 75013
By phone: Phone number provided on credit report or (888) 397-3742

By mail: Click here to download the dispute form
Mail the dispute form with your letter to:
TransUnion Consumer Solutions
P.O. Box 2000,
Chester, PA 19022-2000
By phone: (800) 916-8800

Apply for your quick & easy installment loan today!

Scroll to Top

Choose Your State